Dll not found errors after Visual Studio 2012 migration RRS feed

• Question

• I have a test solution that i'm trying to migrate to Visual Studio 2012. After opening it in VS 2012 there were some upgrades done to the project. But now I have 2 projects that reference the same dlls but different versions: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension, Version 10.0.0.0 and *11*0.0.0 It compiles well but when i run the test i get exception:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Other way around in VS 2010 I'm getting

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

So i'm really confused: how should I handle this different version if i want them to work in both version of Visual Studio?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suspect why you want to reference the same .dll with different versions in your projects?

After you upgrade your VS2010 projects to VS2012 and change the target framework to .NET 4.5, you can't open the projects again in VS2010. So, in this scenario you should not to add reference to 10.0.0.0 assembly.

Also, if you do not change the target framework to .NET 4.5 just use it as .NET 4.0, the projects should be the same in VS2012 as in VS2010. And in this scenario you should not to add reference to 11.0.0.0 assembly.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:04 AM